Friday, October 25, 2013

Player: JJ

Character: Ceric

Class: Knowledge Seeker (a.k.a. Rogue)

My story begins some 125 cycles past, in the Elven forest home of Evereska, where I was born.  I was born to Tovist Ithrandel, my father the master bow crafter, and my mother Azzara Lomilmar, an artist and sculptor.  On rare occasions, when giving birth, a mother will have a flash of insight into the nature or future of her child.  My mother was “blessed” with such a vision and, based on that vision, named me Ceril, which roughly translates to “trouble”.   Now this wasn’t the “bad” kind of trouble, but trouble I certainly was. 

From a very early age I had an insatiable curiosity about everything.  I would constantly bother my mother and father with questions about why the sky was blue, how tools were made, why most Elves were going to Evermeet.  I also made a habit of taking things apart to see how they worked.  My mother was none too pleased with me when she found her music box in a hundred pieces on the floor of my room.  Fortunately all was forgiven once I successfully reassembled it.

Eventually I stopped asking questions and started doing my own style of research.  At first this was reading, tinkering and apprenticing with various masters in Evereska.  Eventually my curiosity led me help myself to more… restricted sources of knowledge.  For instance, on several occasions I let myself into the locked library archives.  Only the scholars are usually allowed in the archives but there was so much knowledge locked away.  The elders were not pleased with me but, after my third unauthorized visit (well, third time I was caught), they decided it was easier to just give me permission to enter.  There was also the time Elder Tirinthral awoke to find me sitting at the desk (in his bedroom) reading an old tome he had just acquired.  Then there were the times I slipped into the council chambers, usually unnoticed, to keep up on the latest goings on.  And of course there was the crate delivered to our neighbor.  They were so careful bringing it in to the house… it made me very curious as to what was in it.  I suppose I could have just asked, but it seemed easier to just go have a look.  How was I supposed to know it was full of honey bees for a new hive?  The time I decided to help some of the Mage’s identify a wand is also a memorable event.  I discovered it was a wand of paralyzation when I managed to discharge the wand, out the door, and at the passing Mage Shadirsel.  It was a valuable lesson for me – I much more careful around mages lest I get polymorphed into a frog again.

Curiously, as I reached the age of 110 the Elders decided I was ready to be an adult a full 10 years earlier than a typical Silver Elf.  A mere two days after choosing my adult name, Anemir (Seeker of Knowledge), the Elders strongly “suggested” I might want to go and explore the world to satisfy my curiosity and hunger for knowledge.  So, a few days later, with my bow in hand I left Evereska.  Since then, I have traveled around the North West area of Faerûn, from the Marsh of Tun to Baldur’s Gate and as far north as the Moonwood.  I even spent some time in the Lizard Marsh studying the Red Tribe of Lizardmen.  Unfortunately I “borrowed” there statue of their god Semuanya, and they apparently blamed the Green Tribe.  Soon after a battle erupted so I felt it was time to move on.

So, fifteen years after leaving Evereska, and with a dwindling supply of coin, I find myself in Waterdeep, and there is so much to see here…

No comments: